Hi, I’m Tanna Worrell!
When I was in kindergarten, my baby brother was just a year and a half old. Feeding him mud pies probably doesn’t count as a Wild Food activity….but I HAVE been interested in Foraging for a very long time. In 1997 we built our dream home in the middle of 40 acres bursting with wild foods of all kinds, including animals that we hunt and eat. I have been blessed with several kind and patient mentors who helped me follow this strange passion for eating ‘weeds’ and wild things. I am a terrible gardener, so being able to walk out my front door and harvest food almost year-round makes me very happy.
THINGS I LOVE ABOUT FORAGING:
- It’s free food…I just go for a walk and pick stuff.
- There is no planting, weeding, or watering…I just go for a walk and pick stuff.
- It’s like Easter Egg hunting…when I go for a walk, I find stuff to pick.
- I get to know the plants as they change through the Four Seasons, and I feel very much connected to the Cycle of Life.
- It makes me giggle to Eat The Weeds that I pull from my “regular” garden!
- It makes me slow down when I walk through the woods…I notice so much more about the amazing and beautiful world around me.
- It helps me turn down the chaos of everyday life…when things get too noisy, too hectic, too much….I go for a walk with a mission to find something to forage. This focus helps me pull my self back together when I feel like I’m being pulled apart.
- And I LOVE empowering others by sharing these valuable skills!
Want to know more?
Call The Friendly Forager
Tanna Worrell, St. Croix Falls, WI (715) 491-6422